Monday, May 22, 2006

Broccoli Cheddar Soup - Panera Bread® Style

This post goes to all broccoli lovers and healthy food watchers!

I got this recipe from Panera Bread. It used to be my favorite snack place during my college days. Here ya go! ;)

Ingredients

Directions

Sautee chopped onion in butter (to make it tender). Set aside. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. (I always cook it in low heat since we use gas ovens and not electrical). Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half (this is called making a roux). Add the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes (10 minutes would do).

Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper (I usually eyeball it, then taste). The soup should be thickened by now. Pour in batches into blender and puree. (You don't need to do this step if the soup is already pureed from cooking. I usually omit this step). If you decided to puree the soup in the blender, return it to the pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended. Stir in nutmeg and serve.

For garnish, add a bit of cheddar cheese on top, and voila! This soup serves 4. (Double the ingredients for 8).

Mochness, tell me how it turns out ;)

Enjoy =)


Comments:
Make for moi today.
 
2alabtee el mawage3!! akh ya galbee!! i looooooooooooooove PANERA!!!! *sigh*

when u make it for n.a., plz call me so i can come get my share!!
 
7athreen, 7ayach allah =)
I know..hehe I love everything about Panera. I always hope they open a franchise here.. =)
 
SO how did u manage to get the recipe from Panera??
 
yummy! thank you for posting this. i couldn't find it anywhere!
 
This recipe was nearly perfect! I can't figure out what I did wrong though. The taste is identical but the consistency is off. My soup is not as creamy and is a little more thick than Panera's soup. Any ideas why?
 
Is it really Panera's recipe?
 
likeewwgross- maybe you made the roux thick by adding more butter and flour. Try to reduce that mixture next time :)

Anonymous- Yes it is! :)

Gina M - Your welcome :)

little red button- if you go to panera's website, there are bunch of recipes for soup, bread, sandwiches and whatnot :)
 
I tried this recipe, I think everything tasted fine before i added the cheese. The soup was too cheesy even though i used the amount stated in the recipe.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]