Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Som Tum ~ Green Papaya Salad


One of my favorite salads is the Thai Som Tum. I just can't describe how delicious it is. It's spicy, citrusy and has low calories! Just perfect for a meal. It really doesn't have a lot of ingredients in it, but the main ingredient is unripe papaya. Unripe papaya is hard to find in places like Bahrain. But I have discovered a couple of Thai stores in town that have wonderful Thai stuff =D




(This picture is taken when I was @ Monsoon last week)



Ingredients (good for 2 servings)

It's best if you buy a shredded papaya, but if you could not find that, just peal the skin of a whole papaya and shred it with a cheese grater. Using a clay mortar, crush the garlic and add the green beans and halved cherry tomatoes. Make sure you softly pound on the tomatoes to get the juice out of it and maintain it's shape. Add the chili peppers and start crushing. If you don't like it hot, remove the seeds from the peppers and crush them tenderly. Add the shredded papaya, lime juice, fish sauce, peanuts and palm sugar. Use the pestle and the spatula to push the mixture up and down. This way, the juice will seep through the mixture.

Really easy to make, isn't it?

Enjoy.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Thanks for the recipe! That is one of my favorite salads too! Monsoon is a great place to dine with great food selection! Besides this salad I love their mixed Tid bits appetizer (the one with the wontons, toasted shrimps and dumplings - I forget what its called maybe "Mixed Appetizer" lol), their spicy creamy shrimp Tom Yum soup and their delicious tamarind hamour dish! Would you by any chance have the recipe for the soup?
 
What a delicious and flavorful salad.
 
Your welcome D! and welcome to my blog =)

The Tid Bits appetizer is amazing, especially the wontons. Believe it or not I never tried their shrimp Tom Yum, but I'll definitely will next time. I'll try to recreate it at home and tell ya how it's done. :)

Pam~ thanks! it's colorful as well, so it looks and tastes good =)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]